Monday, September 20, 2010

AUTUMN FEVER

The official start to autumn is only a couple days away. But the thermometer here is supposed to read almost 90 degrees tomorrow. HOT! HOT! HOT! Not exactly the kind of weather to usher in the new season. Not that I’m complaining, mind you. It can stay summer just a little bit longer. It’s just that I happen to LOVE autumn. It is my absolute favorite time of the year. The cooler, but not cold temps are a big part of it. Guess I’ll have to wait for them to arrive later. With Autumn Fever knocking on my door… I opened the big hope chest, behind my sofa, today… and took out all the fall decorations. After about an hour… my house was adorned with autumn d├ęcor. Pumpkins are sitting out and about, inside and out, my humble abode. They decorate end tables, kitchen and bathroom counters, the fireplace mantel, a faux wood burning stove and the front porch. A large LEAF wreath, greets visitors to my front door. And a burnt orange tablecloth covers my dining room table, with green leaf placemats. In years past, I would also decorate my windows and doors with leaf garlands, too. And I would string up orange lights to accentuate the autumn colors. My husband thinks all the decorating is silly. So I toned it back a bit, once the children were grown and gone. But there are grandchildren now, so I’m back at it. Just wait ’til Halloween.

2 comments:

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Hoping autumn stays a way for a few more weeks. Never been one for decorating, but been there, done that.

Nelle said...

I love Autumn too! Right after Labor Day I got Autumn fever and everything came out. I have some really neat Halloween stuff and then some Autumn stuff too. I cannot wait for the crispness in the air and the fresh apples to be in the local farm markets.