Friday, September 17, 2010

IGOR, A FOND MEMORY

When Hurricane Igor developed, I couldn’t help but pause, for a moment. It is the perfect name for a hurricane. IGOR. Just the name, evokes something FEARFUL. A scary notion if you have to batten down the hatches and evacuate your home. Luckily it doesn’t look like this storm is headed here to our shores. Although, we will probably get rough surf and strong rip currents from it‘s fury. But this ferocious storm does appear to be aiming straight for Bermuda. Landfall may be this weekend. While, I worry about the people in the path of this powerful hurricane… I can’t help but remember, with a smile, the significance of the name, to me, in my youth. As you all know, the name Igor is synonymous with horror flicks, particularly Frankenstein. That would give anyone reason to run for their lives. BUT not me. I feel a particular fondness for the name. Why? Because… Igor was also the name, of my high school sweetheart’s, Rock and Roll Band. I spent many an afternoon, or evening... in my teens, with my sweetie and the other members of IGOR, at rehearsals and gigs. Nothing scary about it. The boys knew how to put on a GREAT show. And I knew how to ENJOY myself, when they were ROCKING. Oh, the MEMORIES, we made. I could write a book. I haven’t seen those guys in over 35 years. I daresay, if the band was around today, the boys would be in awe of their current namesake. And they would be glued to the TV, following his every move. I know somewhere… my high school buddies, are out there… talking about the irony of all this, too. But like me, they are probably horrified by the potential devastation, lying in the wake, of this still deadly hurricane. Let’s hope it’s downgraded soon. But in the meantime, please put Bermuda in your prayers. And, by all means, ROCK ON.

1 comment:

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

You should search for them on Facebook :o)

Glad it is going to pass by.