Sunday, March 31, 2013

TRASH TO TREASURE

 
 
Garbage Day is on Monday at our house. We are allotted one large bin to dispose of waste. We do not have any mandatory recycling. Which means everything goes into the same BIG container.  When my daughters lived at home they generated more trash in a few days than my husband and I do in a month. Now that there is just the two of us, we're lucky if we put one bag out in that can a week. I'm the only person or so my hubby says who knows how to extricate the garbage from the kitchen can to put it outside in the bin. A good excuse for him not to do it, right? In all fairness he does the bathroom and office cans. Neither of which require the muscle that kitchen can does. But then he does wheel that big monstrosity with everything in it to the curb. It would be much easier to put that one green trash bag out there. Problem is that can can sit there all day. Our garbage men are not on a schedule. They can pick it up at the crack of dawn or not mosey by until 5 o'clock at night. I'm reminded of the old days when we'd have 4 or 5 cans lining the driveway. And those collectors would be there when the sun rose to empty them. Remember the old metal trash cans? I bought one years ago to store my wrapping paper in. In it's day it was convenient and just the right size. BUT now that I exclusively use gift bags instead of wrapping paper it's getting in the way. So it's the first thing I'm going to get rid of at a garage sale later this spring. Call it recycling. There is vintage paper in there. One woman's trash is another's treasure.
 
 
 

11 comments:

Jan said...

It takes alot of will power to part with something you have had for a long time,I am in awe of you , and yes I'm the bin man here too ..love Jan xx

Chatty Crone said...

I have to do this too! sandie

Carol Z said...

I did some decluttering in the office today, including wrapping paper I'd been saving forever. Trying to get going at home, too.

Paula said...

Think before you get rid of that can. Do you need a little round table? I had a brand new one so I turned it upside down and happen to have a round board to put on top. Covered it with one of the little round table cloths and no one is the wiser until I just can't resist pulling up the skirt and showing it off. Fits perfectly in the corner with a lamp on it.

jack69 said...

I smile when I think how little trash there once was in our home. No cans or plastic to throw away. all the Grocery bags were saved, for small garbage or to rest fried chicken on as the grease settled into the paper. Canning jars were washed for next fall, etc.
Sounds like you guys have the right arrangement. As long as it works and is out on time.
My sister puts hers out every other week.
((HUGS)) Monday coming up!

Funny in My Mind said...

My people take the trash out when I yell.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

As I'm the only person here, trash is all handled by me. We have a regular garbage bin and a recycling bin too. I recycled one of my old garbage cans to hold outdoor stuff and it sits to the side of the back patio. Things like the garden spade, my little knee cushion pad and old flower pots are in it. I have it filled and it's handy in the spring and summer. Some one will enjoy your can of paper I'm sure. I still use it, but would rather use gift bags, they are just more expensive. Hope you have a wonderful Monday!

Lucy said...

Our garbage man was picking up 3 days a week. We just did not have enough on that Fri. to warrant picking it up. We asked them not to come but on Tues. They charge us just as much but that is ok. They are pretty reasonable.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I saw what Paula said above. What I've seen is that they keep the can right side up and put a round wood board on top and put a cloth over for a table skirt. The can is then used for storage.
My hubby takes the trash down to the curb, but I have to get it all together!

Belle said...

Like you, I only use gift bags. It is so much easier and doesn't take up room, as you said. I'm sure someone will buy your paper.

Lynda said...

You can make the wrapping paper into gift bags if you want to. I have the instructions (with pictures) in a word document if you want me to send them to you. lyndawh@gmail.com
(I found you at Bobbie & Gracie's blog.)