Wednesday, April 3, 2013

SPRING SPRUNG, SORTA

 
Our landscaping here is evolving.  It is rustic. Natural. A mess. SERIOUSLY a big mess. We don't really have the money to invest in everything that needs to be done around here. inside and out. My husband hates being outside. He doesn't like the bugs. He has allergies and COPD and basically is miserable in the spring and summer. I on the other hand LOVE it, but just can't do what needs to be done here, alone. How I long for a well manicured property. But alas that is not in the cards for me, so I just daydream about it, every year. To placate me, my hubby gives me some hyacinths when the clocks jump ahead, to plant somewhere randomly in the yard. In fact, he didn't tell me he got them, this year. He just let their smell permeate our surroundings and that's how I discovered they were here. He had to place them high up on one of the shelves in our living room, almost out of sight, so our nosy kitty cats wouldn't kill themselves by taking a BIG bite. The flowers are poison to them. But were a glorious discovery for me. A little bit of spring, at long last from this endless winter and cooler temps.
 

13 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

What a thoughtful guy - my husband hates yard work too! Makes it hard.
Sandie

Angela said...

That's a sweet thing to do. My husband is pretty handy outside the house, but he gets so many projects going that nothing actually ever gets finished. Oh well. It's all good in my book. =)

Happy April!

jack69 said...

Never had a green thumb, Some folks say I love them to death. too much water, and food.

But I do love to see someone who can. Shirl is the decorator in our family, Sherry and I are lawn mowers and that is about it.
I thought we had Spring here in NC but alas, another week off it seems.

Funny in My Mind said...

Gorgeous! What a sweet guy!
I hate never having time to do all the things that need to be done around here either. When we used to have time, we never had money. Now that we are doing better, we never have extra time. And hiring someone is out of the question.
Make your yard the prettiest you can in a small area and enjoy that place. Get a little table and 2 chairs (a bistro set) and a few potted flowers and read a book with some lemonade and shut the rest out. Or get a hammock. It's the little things girl!

Jon said...

It's impossible to have a nice yard here in West TX. I spent a fortune on plants and flowers and they all perished from the heat. My front yard was nothing but weeds. I finally dug the whole thing out and replaced it with gravel and stepping stones. Some people probably think I'm crazy but frankly my dear, I don't give a damn...

(have I heard that line before??)

Lori said...

How very sweet of him! I love hyacinths.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's nice that you have a little bit of Spring there at your house. It is a very thoughtful thing for your hubby to have done. Only signs I have here are my artificial tulips blooming in the dining room. We do have promises of warmer days in the long range forecast so maybe there is hope.

Hollie said...

That is so sweet of him!! I know what you mean. There's so many things I'd like to do outside but do have the time, money or energy! LOL So I just do the best I can....

have a wonderful day!!

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre,
Your hyacinths are so pretty, and I love the color. Purple is my favorite color, you know. And what a nice surprise from husband to get them for you. It's rare when they do things for us without being asked hahaha. I'm glad you have some spring around your home now.
~Sheri

Forty Pound Sack said...

what a sweet hubby! And hyacinths, oh the wonderful scent ~

Pat MacKenzie said...

Lovely spring flowers. I'm starting to see them in the stores but if any have sprouted outside, they're being buried by a fresh snowfall today! I love flowers but hate gardening!

Carol Z said...

Hyacinths are beautiful. I'm like your husband with gardening. Whenever I think of trading this apartment for a little place with a backyard I remember my aversion for yard work. Stops me every time. Have a great weekend!

Lucy said...

We are in the same boat as you. Joe can only do so much and I hate to admit it but I am limited on what I can do. He did clean out the small flower beds. It is supposed to be colder here for a while but back up in the 60's the end of the week.