Friday, March 14, 2014

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY


IRISH PROVERBS
* A drink precedes a story.
* Time is a great story teller.
* A friend's eye is a good mirror.
* Even a small thorn causes festering.
* Good as drink is, it ends in thirst.
* It is a long road that has no turning.
* As the big hound is, so will the pup be.
* A trade not properly learned is an enemy.
* Put silk on a goat, and it's still a goat.
* When the liquor was gone the fun was gone.
* There is no fireside like your own fireside.
* It is not a secret if it is known by three people.
* It takes time to build castles. Rome was not built in a day.
* The man with the boots does not mind where he places his foot.
* If you do not sow in the spring you will not reap in the autumn.
* When a twig grows hard it is difficult to twist it. 
* Every beginning is weak.

15 comments:

Paula said...

Good ones and a happy Saint Patrick's day to you.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy St. Patricks Day to you ! I do love all things Irish and appreciated the proverbs. Lots of wise thoughts for sure! Hope you have a fantastic Friday!

jack69 said...

good ones, especially:
A friends eye is a good mirror.
Sweet/concise entry lady, of course it says tons.Thanks.
Love from Central Florida

Rose said...

Good ones!
Have a great weekend!

Pat MacKenzie said...

Some I hadn't heard before. I like the silk on a goat one and the secret among three people. So true. The Irish are clever. Happy St. Pats Day

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre,
I love the Irish Proverbs you have on here today. My favorite one is "Time is a great story teller."

Happy St. Patrick's Day, and don't forget to wear the green!

love,
~Sheri

Formerly known as Frau said...

Love them all! Have a wonderful weekend!

betty said...

I have not heard these proverbs before so they were fun to read! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

betty

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you, Terre! I enjoyed reading the Irish Porverbs, I hadn't heard of several of them. Have a great weekend!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Oh, big oops! That should be Proverbs, as I'm sure you know. :)

Hollie said...

Love reading these!! Thanks for sharing!

Chatty Crone said...

I LOVE ST. PAT'S day. Have a good one!

Jon said...

Very apt proverbs. I like St. Paddy's Day, despite the fact that the Irish are very few here in west Texas. I can only hope for green tumbleweeds and green tamales.....

Lucy said...

This is the first time I have felt like getting on and I shouldn't have waited so long. I hope hubby came out good with the cardiologist. Joe will go next week. I go the next. Hope your husband is able to continue working. That is rough when it comes as a total surprise and no savings. He went back to work for 2 years after heart surgery against his doctors wishes but he has done well and hope he continues to do so. It was heavy work where they built grain trailers and repaired them.

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre,
I would love to see your Barbie doll and all the clothes that your grandmother made for her. That is so special. Maybe you could do a post on it someday?

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

love,
~Sheri