Tuesday, May 27, 2014

PICK UP MY TAB, WATER IS EXPENSIVE


It has been years since I drank diet soda pop to quench my thirst. But I have tried a variety of other things to fill the void. Lemonade was too sweet and tart causing my heartburn or diabetes to flare. In very small doses I can handle it. Unsweetened Ice Tea is my go to drink on a hot spring or summer day. I use four pink SWEET and LOW'S. And lemon. I have found this to be comforting, and problem free. 

But... to supplement it I also drink lots of water. When I first got on this kick, I gave up tap water with ice and started buying bottled Dasani because it was supposed to be better for you. But it got too expensive. So I went to sparkling waters, instead.  I could get three for $1.09.  I really got into the GRAPEFRUIT flavor, Faygo. I drank this for a year or two. Now it's almost a dollar a piece.


Then... I tried the Meijer's store brand called Quenchers. It was sweeter. I liked it. I got the green GRAPE or RASPBERRY flavor and would toss fresh fruit inside my glass. Made drinking water something special. It was affordable but too sugary. 


So after a while I got bored with just the two flavors, I liked and discovered another water drink called IZZE. But it was $5-$7.50 for a 4 pack. That is kind of costly too, so I only had it on special occasions. 


Then I found a cheap imitation of it. A Canadian Water product called ICE. It was also a dollar a bottle, and came in a variety of flavors. I drank that until I went in the hospital a couple years ago.


 There at the hospital,  everyday with my meal, came a vitamin water called PROPEL, ZERO. I was hooked by the Cranberry Lime flavor. I LOVED it. Plus it was healthy for you.  But it too is getting expensive. It goes for $1.15 or more a bottle. I try to buy it on sale when it gets down to $.69 a bottle. But that is rare, so I limit my intake of how many bottles I drink per week.


 So when my hubby's job ends in the next  month or so.... it looks like I'm going to be doing cheap, again. No more LUXURY WATER for me. It's back to FREE tap water with ice and fresh lemon. And plenty of homemade ice tea. Do you like to drink soda pop or something else???


18 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I am an iced tea drinker. Sometimes I flavor it with a little cranberry juice or lemon, but mostly it is sweet iced tea for me. I have tried some of those flavored waters but they are way to expensive. I like lemonade but don't have it as often as tea. Tea is suppose to be good for us too!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i drink tap water all the time. i figure, it was good for me when i was little so it must be good for me now!

Lynda said...

I drink lots of water, too. It's a good chaser for chocolate. LOL. Seriously though, I like it by itself. Also, I like Seltzer water with meals rather than a soft drink.

Hollie said...

I drink Deer Park water. I buy it from Walmart. I think you get like 20-24 bottles for a little less than $4. I also like sweet tea, Coca-Cola and Dr. Pepper. I have never tried the flavored waters. I do like Grape Gatorade though.

jack69 said...

You girls are just too picky and get bored easily. LOL I drink coffee and green tea more than water. My dr. finally gave in to saying he would consider that water. hahahahah
But drink what you like, and enjoy the pleasure you get. LIFE is too short not to.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Good old plain water is my favorite. I seldom drink sodas or flavored waters and I never drink diet. (Afraid of the artificial sweeteners!) I buy the occasional bottled water when I'm on the road. And I make my own flavored waters in the summer with fruit. A treat for me is a fizzy water (especially lime). And another treat for the movies is a real Coke! Love it! But only sparingly.

Cindi said...

We have a large glass water dispenser. I keep it on our kitchen counter,looks like those Suntea jars. I chop different fruits together. Then add the water, so we drink different flavored water everyday. You could use a pitcher, keep it in the fridge...((hugs))

Paula said...

Our city water just isn't up to par even though they say it is perfectly safe to drink. I buy Nestle bottled water and John has one of the drink dispensers and fills the large bottles at a station at the grocery store. Try to stay away from soda.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I just saw these drinks someone had posted that are supposed to be good for you too so I had to stop back by and let you know about them...

Strawberry/Lime or Raspberry/Lime
Mix in a pitcher : 10 cups of water + 6 strawberries / 0r Raspberries and one thinly sliced lime + 12 finely chopped fresh mint leaves. Leave in the refrigerator overnight before serving.

Blackberry/Sage
Note that a part from the berries, sage leafs is the herb that has the highest antioxidant content.
Mix in a pitcher : 10 cups of water + 1 cup of blackberries that have been very slightly crushed + 3-4 sage leaves. Leave in refrigerator overnight before serving.

WATERmelon : watermelon/Rosemary
Mix in a pitcher : 10 cups of water + 1 cup of watermelon cut into cubes + 2 rosemary stems. Leave in refrigerator overnight before serving.

Pineapple/Mint
Mix in a pitcher : 10 cups of water + 1 cup of pineapple cut into cubes + 12 fresh mint leaves finely chopped. Leave in the refrigerator overnight before serving.

Apple/cinnamon
Mix in a pitcher : 10 cups of water + 1 cup of apple cut into cubes + 2 cinnamon sticks + 2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Leave in the refrigerator overnight before serving.

Ginger/tea
In advance: heat 1 teaspoon of ginger in two cups of tea, let it cool down.

Mix in a pitcher: 10 cups of water with two cups of the ginger tea + 4-5 pieces of fresh ginger cut into cubes. Leave in the refrigerator overnight before serving

betty said...

I drink just plain tap water. My husband was into those flavored waters for a bit until we moved and had to slim down our budget. Now he is into iced tea that he makes with tea bags, keeping 2 pitchers of them in the fridge. Cheaper than buying iced tea in bottles or 1/2 gallon containers. There sure are lots of choices out there to drink, aren't there?

betty

Mevely317 said...

Hubby and I go through a case of Dasani each week - it's the only bottled water out there that tastes 'right' but it's sooooo boring! As we live in the desert (107-degrees and 8% humidity today) I have to force myself to keep hydrated.
Given my druthers, I'd drink iced coffee - but that messes with my sleep cycle something fierce.

Fortunately, Tom discovered Crystal Light powder (actually we buy the store brand) last year; each of us can flavor to our own tastes.

Chatty Crone said...

I hate to say it - but once in awhile there is nothing better than a real COKE - but I can't drink them either. So it is water and unsweet tea for me!

Jon said...

There are a multitude of choices nowadays and - as you said - most of them are expensive. I always get my water from the local water machine, because Texas tap water is unfit to drink.

When I first lived in San Angelo, the city didn't even filter the water!!! It came directly from the muddy Concho River into the kitchen faucet!!! I couldn't believe it.

I am a tea addict. I drink it constantly, hot or iced.

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre,
I would love to drink Pepsi and other drinks, but I can't have too much sugar, so it's just water for me, Dasani usually....and my favorite all-time drink is iced tea. That last drink you showed sounds like a good one. I like how you put lemon in your water too.

I wanted to tell you that on my post today no one mentioned the snail. You're a girl after my own heart. I loved that little guy.

~Sheri

Lucy Horky said...

I drink a quite a lot of water. You my girl are to be applauded for all the drinks you have gone through.

Bobbi and Gracie said...

Just plain ol' spring water for me!!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I wish I could learn to love iced tea without sugar. Sigh. Maybe one day. Water is hard to beat on a really hot day. But in colder weather, I like it flavored with something.

Harvey Lowe said...

Beverages can quench our thirst, but not all of them are good for our healthy — especially soda. It’s great that you’ve tested a lot of beverages to match your needs, so that you can weigh in which one is better. But if you’re trying to save up, and you think tap water would do, then I think that’s what you should do. And if you’re craving for a flavored drink, then there’s always juice, yes? Anyway, thanks for sharing this with us. Have a great day!


Harvey Lowe @ AXEON Water Technologies