Sunday, June 5, 2016

COLOUR MY WORLD


Kermit told us it’s not easy being green, but the witch in the Broadway play Wicked embraced her green skin. At the end of the rainbow we are told we will find a pot of gold after seeing a dazzling array of colors. If we are depressed we are in a blue mood. Nature paints the world with it’s color-wheel. The sun is mellow yellow. The grass is green with buttercups and clover. The sky is blue with billowing white clouds. The oceans are blue or green depending on which coast you live. Flowers appear in a multitude of hues. The months have color and birthstones attached. So do the seasons. February is about hearts and the color red. March about St. Patrick and green. May, June and July are about patriotism and red, white and blue. October and November  are about the changing color of the leaves in reds, yellows and oranges... where pumpkins dot the landscape. December is about holly, ivy, pine and greenery  all wrapped in big red bows. People usually have a color they gravitate towards. I love purple without the Red Hats or Barney. And turquoise is special to me too. (probably because of my love for Native American lore and jewelry.) Most of my clothing nowadays reflects these color preferences.  My hair used to be dark before it turned white and my eyes are black, so purple and turquoise compliment my complexion. But there’s another color in my life that is prevalent too. The color orange and I... go way back. But I really do not know why? I’m not particularly fond of it. Perhaps it was my mothers doing. Maybe it’s a color she liked. Or maybe she asked me what color I preferred as a 2 year old... and because I was eating a tangerine... I said orange. Believe it or not… that color ruled the day as I was growing up. ORANGE was the color of my childhood. My bedroom walls were orange. My bedroom furniture was painted orange. My curtains were orange. I ate ORANGE sherbet. And had ORANGE cake for my birthday. Even when I outgrew my parents house and went out on my own, the color still took a front seat.  I bought an orange mustang that belonged to an actress.  I ate orange scones. I decorate with a zillion pumpkins in the fall. I have a Himalayan Salt Lamp that glows orange at night that comforts me as it’s spreading ions throughout the house. And on and on the list goes. Is this a coincidence? Or deliberate? Orange always seems to pop up like it or not in my world, in some form. How do you color your world? What color speaks to you?



15 comments:

Paula said...

Interesting post about orange. John and I have taken to Orange Freeze at Taco Bell in the afternoon they have happy hour and they only cost a dollar plus tax. I tend to like lavender and purple hues.

Lisa said...

Ive never had a favorite color. My taste in color changes. I have to say I like wearing white mostly but when decorating, I prefer earth tones. I have never liked purple for any reason.
Lisa

jack69 said...

What an interesting blog, I like it. I tend to like tans and light browns in houses and brick. I like off white for interiors. We have a blue motor home and it is not my favorite color. Our previous was black and grey and I loved it.

I LOVE ORANGE SHERBET AND pumpkin pie with pecans. LOL

betty said...

I tend to feel soothed by the starkness of white walls around me.

Betty

Weekend-Windup said...

Lovely post. Nice to compare life with colors...

shortybear said...

purple speaks to me

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Red is my favorite but I love lots of others too.

Jon said...

Colors have always strongly affected my moods and state of mind. I think that is true of all sensitive ("artistic"?) people. My favorite color has always been blue - in many different shades.

I also love all the autumnal colors - orange, gold, russet, amber, peach, crimson, etc. Orange seems to be your ruling color. I love orange sherbet and cake - - and an orange Mustang would be fantastic!

I'm late with this - - your blog post didn't appear on my dashboard until today. The Blogger Gremlins are at it again...

Mevely317 said...

I love this post!
Personally, I adore a soft yellow (buttercream?) - but it doesn't flatter my skin tone. Oh, I've tried differing hues, but keep coming back to basic black ... with an occasional splash of forest green or brown. (Good grief, I sound like a tree.)

Saimi said...

The color for me is Yellow. I love yellow! It's such a happy vibrant color. When I was growing up I had a yellow bedroom. Walls, carpet, drapes and I haven't outgrown it. My sewing room walls are a soft yellow with white flowing cotton drapes. I love that room. I can wear bright yellow and get away with it, it works with a good summer tan.

What a fun post! Glad I stopped by
Saimi

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre, believe it or not, these three colors speak to me as well. Purple is actually my favorite color and I did a room in purple until I changed it recently. Turquoise is an amazing color to me, and have bits of it around my house. Orange is just a wonderful color. I read one time that Orange was the happiest color, and I really think that's true. It was nice reading about you growing up and why the color orange appeals to you to this day. So interesting, isn't it? I still have to stop whenever I see an orange flower.

I'd love to see your Himalayan lamp sometime. :)

love, ~Sheri

Danielle L Zecher said...

I love blue and green. When I was younger my favorite color was purple, so not much change. I think it's about equal between blue and green for me; some days I think I prefer blue a little more, then on other days it's green, so it all balances out. Fortunately for me blue and green usually work together so I don't have to choose.

I also seem to wear a lot of pink. I like it, and it seems to work well with my coloring.

Susan said...

Hello Taryterre....Pink definitely speaks to me. It just lifts up my spirits and my thoughts. I also like light lavender, my second favorite color. I like bright, cheery yellow and light greens and blues and, of course, sizzling red. Color makes life more grand, don't you think?
Thanks so much for your faithful visits to my posts. I always love to see that you have stopped by. Susan

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre, I'm not sure, but I think the hunting doves in the wild are a bit different than the doves we see around our homes. My dad used to want us to try foods at least once, but I never liked the dove. It has a rich taste, not for me. :)

~Sheri

Carol Z said...

Pink and more pink. I loved it as a little girl, and it's still my favorite color, especially when paired with green. The color I wear the most is black, but often with hot pink.