Wednesday, May 22, 2013

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!


We have a solid wood door with windows on the front of our house. It's been here over 60 years. When we tried to replace it years ago we found out they do not make doors that size. So we could either get one custom made, at an exorbitant price or buy a door as is and do major construction to the front of the place, also expensive. I opted back then to refinish the one that was there. I painted the outside and left the inside alone. It was quite a project because I textured the finish, then covered the windows. Nowadays you can buy that kind of paint but when I did it you couldn't. You had to layer and use assorted tools to achieve the textured look. Unfortunately, time has deteriorated the door and it now has big cracks in it. My husband's solution to this is to put a strip of duck-tape over it. Not an attractive alternative, to be sure. So I've been threatening to do something about it. I began looking at doors. If I could find one not too cost prohibitive, then we can afford to make the construction changes needed to replace the old one, at this time, because my hubby got a job. After looking at countless doors I  hit pay dirt. I found one that is not only cost effective but looks nice and already comes painted. Now all we have to do is find the right handyman to fit it in position and rebuild that part of the house.
CURRENT FRONT DOOR
UGLY RIGHT?
FATIGUE GREEN
I'M FATIGUED DEALING WITH IT
HUBBY'S SOLUTION TO REPAIR CRACK
DUCK TAPE IT TO COVER PROBLEM
MY DREAM DOOR IS NOT HAPPENING
BUT I LIKE THIS ONE TOO
BECAUSE IT'S SOMETHING MORE AFFORDABLE
AND WE CAN PICK THE COLOR...
WITHOUT HAVING TO PAINT IT OURSELVES
PERFECT!
 

19 comments:

Jon said...

I love the new door. I hope you can find a handyman who knows what he's doing (not always an easy thing to do).
As for the old door - - the crack could probably be filled with wood putty.

jack69 said...

It always takes a little ingenuity when replacing the originals that are 2-3" too big or the same too small. The too small was always to me to be the biggest pain.
Always a challenge to match the existing design.

Goodluck int he process.
PS: I prefer the duct tape, but add a strip to match, and the duct tape comes in great colors. LOL

Good luck... (HUGS)

Paula said...

Good luck with your door. I bet you will figure something out and it will look good.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Good luck with whatever you decide. Duct tape has many uses but I'd never seen it on a door before. Repair work is expensive. I'd probably go with the wood filer and paint the old one over.

Lucy said...

Doors can be a rel problem getting one to fit in our old house. Liked the idea your Hubby thinks duct tape right off the bat. My husband would have been right in there with that .

Chatty Crone said...

I'm glad you finally got a new door! sandie

jaz@octoberfarm said...

great solution to a new door! men and their duct tape, eh?

Cheryl @ TFD said...

That a good looking door you picked out. I hope the installation goes smoothly. What color will you choose? I love the red.

Roses around the door... said...

The new door looks good, its lovely to see you these day's x

Ellen in Oregon said...

What is it about mens' brains that makes duct tape so attractive to them? There is no such thing as attractive duct tape no matter functional it may be, it remains butt ugly.
I think the steel door makes a lot of sense for the amount of cold weather you get the finish will last for years. What color are you going to get? I priced having some door replaced and the installation ran about $125. If you buy at Lowes they have people who install the door and are backed by the store to do it right. Can't wait to see it once it's installed.

Belle said...

I can see that your old door was beautiful at one time. I love the new door. Duct tape is very handy stuff!

Sheila Y said...

That is a pretty door you picked out. I'm wondering too, which color did you pick? Have a great weekend, Sheila

Ninny said...

A new door! How pretty, too! Keep us posted!

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre,
You are always coming up with solutions, and I appreciate hearing about them. I guess if we look long enough, we can find an answer to our construction questions. I am fortunate to have a husband who has been in the construction industry for 30 years. I like your new door, it will look really nice.

I have been so busy meeting new friends with the link party going on, but I miss my old friends, like you. Be sure to show us when your new door is put in. I have a thing for front doors and porches hehehe.

Love,
~Sheri

Formerly known as Frau said...

Good Luck! I hate when people do custom anything...the next people down the road have the cost of replacing and fixing. We are having that issue with some windows! Ching ching!

Pat MacKenzie said...

The new door is beautiful. What color did you choose for it? I like the high curved window...really adds style and class.

Chatty Crone said...

You need to send me your address to have that mailed too - I think I sent to the wrong Terry - but I am going to fix it!

Ken Riches said...

Glad Hubby found a job. Good luck with the door.

pattisjarrett said...

That is a pretty door. I like the decorative window in it.