Friday, May 10, 2013

SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED


I am the first to concede that I am not a mechanically inclined person. But I have been known to put a thing or two together in my time. Recently we bought a floor lamp. It was the kind you had to build. It sat untouched in the box for a couple weeks. I expected my husband would do it, but one thing after another got in the way. So I decided I would do it myself. This was not necessarily a good idea. But I dived  right in and did it without reading the directions. I did this because directions often confuse me more than not. But in this case it complicated things. I ended up putting the lamp together backwards. In other words I started from the bottom up. Therefore the lamp was wobbly and would not stand up straight and the top piece with the socket would not fit in. Frustrated, I told my husband what a cheap piece of  garbage it was. He came over to check out the problem and started laughing at my feeble attempt. He took one brief look at the paper diagram and informed me I should have started from the top down and followed instructions. He had the lamp taken apart and put back together properly in a matter of minutes. Then a light went on. What would I do without him?
 
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS LAMP?
IT WON'T GO TOGETHER.
 
 
 
MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE
READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.
NOW WHAT?
 
 
HUBBY HAD TO
TAKE WHAT I DID
COMPLETELY APART
AND START OVER
 
 
AND IN MINUTES
THE LAMP WAS ASSEMBLED
AND PUT IN PLACE
 
 
 

6 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm a failure when it comes to putting things together. I will admit that when it comes to assembling things, I need help. I like the lamp!

jack69 said...

Men are such smart alecks and show offs! hahahahahahaha

But hey, most times things work without reading the directions. I only read them once I am in trouble.(smile)

Glad it is right now!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i always give these projects to the blog tech. he is a wiz at this stuff!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i always give these projects to the blog tech. he is a wiz at this stuff!

Paula said...

Recently I bought a small table for a telephone that needed to be put together. Well guess what? I wasn't as smart as I though I was. I ended up paying a man more to put it together then the dang thing cost.

Forty Pound Sack said...

hey, we all have our strengths, right? Nice lamp!!