Sunday, May 5, 2013

OLD GIRLFRIEND, 1930's & THE MIRROR

 
The mirror is from the 1930's or earlier. It may or may not be from Europe. It's been in our home for almost 30 years. It is an antique like us. It belonged to the parents of my hubby's high school sweetheart. That sweetheart was not me. Her family gave the mirror to my husband's family sometime back in the 1950's when my husband was dating her.  It used to be in my in-law's basement over their laundry tub. I always loved it. From the first time I saw it, it wielded a magical spell over me. There was just something so charming about it with it's etched glass and pewter fobs. And it never bothered me that it was associated with an old girlfriend. When my hubby's parents passed on, we inherited it.  I briefly entertained the notion that I could then bequeath it back to the old girlfriend. But decided it best to let sleeping dogs lie.  As it turned out she too had passed away. So we brought the vintage mirror home and looked for a place to put it. When we redecorated the bathroom, a few years later, with an old cabin motif, we decided the mirror fit in with the theme. I added a metal set of pine trees to the fob on top and made it my own. Everyday I marvel at how well it fits in with our decor. I love old time mirrors and the reflection you see in them, don't you? Note the shower curtain and wallpaper in this one.
 
 

13 comments:

jack69 said...

Good use for the mirror.

Isn't it funny the memories that one inanimate object can conjure up so many memories.
Good read!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It does look good and I like the shower curtain too. Many old mirrors turn funny and look smokey.

Lynda said...

I like the extra light mirrors bring into a room.

TARYTERRE said...

I know what you mean. This mirror isn't smokey, just dirty when I took the picture. LOL

jaz@octoberfarm said...

great mirror! it is in very good shape for it's age.

Carol Z said...

I really like the look. It fits so nicely in the bathroom and is so charming.

Paula said...

Glad you didn't let the old girlfriend thoughts keep you from enjoying something you like.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

It's a beautiful mirror! It's always great to have things given to you work out in your home. That is not always the case. I have a piece from my grandmother that is still residing in the basement storage room. I hate that, but it just doesn't fit in my house.

Forty Pound Sack said...

It's beautiful. I love vintage anything, and you made very good use of it ~

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre,
Yes, I love the mirror, and I think it is great that you looked beyond your husband's past, and now have a lovely mirror to look at every day. It looks antique and very vintage.

Have a happy week, and this mirror says you are special, indeed.

Love,
~Sheri

Rose said...

I love the vintage look.

You found the perfect place to hang it.

Lucy said...

Love the mirror and what you have added to it. It looks old and so unusual.

Pat MacKenzie said...

The mirror looks especially good with the lovely shower curtain reflected in it. It's so hard to get a good picture of a mirror but you have done a wonderful job of it.