Wednesday, August 28, 2013

INSECTS AND A BLOG ANNIVERSARY

 

Life has gotten interesting. Quite by accident  I saw one of these pods crawl by. It had a caterpillar shape poke out a hole in the top of it's body. Then the whole thing later attached itself to the siding by my front door, with a powerful silk that made it hard to dislodge. 
 
 
I then noticed five to seven more doing the same thing by my porch and chairs. To see it, it looks like foliage, dangling there. But it's not. It's a living thing called a bag worm. It took an afternoon of research to discover they are pests that destroy evergreen bushes and trees, by camouflaging themselves to look like them.  The females lay thousands of eggs that multiply. And the males turn into ugly moths with clear wings, to spread more trouble. When I looked at the bushes in one of my flower beds I noticed hundreds of these pods attached to them. It was bad news. The plants would have to be removed so the problem wouldn't get worse. I called a local tree service out and for a price, they took them out. 
 
 
I feel much better without the creepy crawly things around. Now I can celebrate my blogiversary. Been here, on this particular blog, 4 years this week. Imagine that? I wonder what else will happen... to write and talk about... in the coming year? Thanks for being here with me.
 
 

18 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'd never seen that creepy looking bag worm before but now thanks to your research i'll know it if it comes around here. Too bad you had to have those bushes removed. Happy Blogoversary.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

happy blogoversary! i had my arborist out here the other day and he pointed out bag worms to me too. he said it was too late to do anything about them this year but i will need to be sprayed next year.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Happy Blogoversary to you! I always enjoy reading your posts. Thanks for being my blogging friend!

We've had bag worms, too, on our evergreens and had them sprayed. But, instead of worms killing them, the drought last year did.


linda eller said...

Glad you found them and got rid of the critters.

jack69 said...

I think you got much bigger bag worms, but we ran into some smaller and they were terrible to get out of our evergreens.
Glad you are free of them....

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre,
Those are unusual looking insects. Have never seen them before. I'm so glad you took care of the bug problem.

Yaaaay, four years! That is amazing. I didn't realize you have been blogging for that long. I only hope our blog is still around after four years.

Happy Wednesday.

Love,
~Sheri

Red Rose Alley said...

Oooops, I meant bag worm problem.

~Sheri :~)

Sara S. said...

WooHoo on 4 yrs!!! I love reading your posts, even though I don't always leave comments!
Sorry to hear about your nasty critters and having to lose your bushes. I hope that they haven't spread to any others and that it fixes the problem.

Paula said...

Happy Blogaversary. I'm so glad I met you here and get to read your nice entries.

Jon said...

What incredibly weird pods. I've never seen anything like them.

Happy Blogiversary!!!
I have absolutely no clue how long I've been with Blogger. I started blogging on AOL and that must have been 10 or 12 years ago.

Lori said...

Happy Blogiversary!

Pat MacKenzie said...

Congratulations on your fourth blogiversary, and on getting rid of your nasty bug problem.

Hollie said...

OH DEAR!! I've never seen those thing either!! I would want them GONE too!!

Congrats on your blog anniversary!!

Carol Z said...

So glad those creepies are gone. Happy Blogaversary! Wishing you many good times to blog about in the year ahead.

Chatty Crone said...

I am glad you got rid of those!

Red Rose Alley said...

It's good to hear that you and your best friend write back and forth once or twice a week. I don't think I'll ever get tired of handwritten letters. It may be a thing of the past, but for me, I'll keep the tradition alive.

Have a nice Labor Day weekend.

Love,
~Sheri

Nelle said...

How odd. Never saw anything look like that before. Happy Blogversary.

Melva Ullman said...

You have a good eye! Looks like the bugs were stupid enough to attach themselves to a peculiar place, leading you to believe that it's an oddly placed pod. Good thing you took action, or you would have had freaky moths all over the place. Good work and happy anniversary to your blog!
Melva Ullman @ MPDT.com.au