Monday, September 23, 2013

BICYCLE THE VEHICLE OF WRITERS

 
Earlier this year, when the weather got warmer I found myself looking at bicycles. I got it in my head that I'd like to buy one. "After all, they are the vehicles of writers and poets." I visualized myself riding around the block with the breeze blowing through my hair, like in the old days. It had been years since I had been on one.  But I believed the notion that you never forget how to ride one. I was rusty, that was all. Well that turned out to be false.  I forgot to take into consideration my bad knees. I found I couldn't even get on one. The 26 inch was impossible. My legs were just too short to pull up over the bar. So the sales clerk suggested I try a 24 inch.  Even then I found it difficult to get on. And when I finally did, keeping my balance on the thing was a struggle. I was doomed to fall. I didn't want to break a leg. I was so frustrated. How could something I once did with ease be so arduous? Upsetting for sure. But common sense prevailed. I had to admit my bicycle riding days were over. I left the bicycles on the rack for someone else to buy and enjoy. Do you ride?
 
 

13 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

My bike is hanging out in the garage. It is old and it's hung up there for years now. I refuse to get rid of it thinking there might be a day I'd like to use it, but in reality I too know my bicycle days are over. It was fun when I did it and the memories are good,

Chatty Crone said...

I used to - I gave it up when we moved to our neighborhood - we have stiff hills in all directions! sandie

linda eller said...

No,dont ride any longer, and dont have a bike hidden in the garage or attic.

jack69 said...

Ahhh sweetheart, this one makes an old guy smile, for the right reasons.......

jaz@octoberfarm said...

my bikes are in the garage collecting dust.

betty said...

What about a bike with two back wheels? I've seen lots of those here. Could be easier to get on?

Son just bought a bike, I'll have to get on his and see if I can still ride one. I haven't ridden since he was in grade school and we would take bike rides together. (except the bike at the gym of course, LOL :)

betty

Hollie said...

I don't either! Like you I don't care to get hurt!! I ride in my mind though!

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre, this post brought a smile to my face because I used to ride my bike all the time! Those were the good 'ole days for sure. I haven't been on one in years. So sorry you aren't able to ride any more, but just wanting to try it once again means the world. When I rode, it was a mountain bike, and they were popular back then.

Love,
~Sheri

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, these look like "beach cruisers." They are very IN right now, and the girls have them.

~Sheri

Paula said...

I had John air my tires up a couple of years ago and I rode but I think my balance isn't as good. What I long to do is skate but I sure don't trust myself to do that.

Angela said...

I have a pink one like the one in the last picture. I love it! I don't get on it much, but it always makes me smile.

Carol Z said...

I never liked riding a bike, even when I was a kid. I had one, but never got very far on it. There are a number of things I enjoyed that my creaky body doesn't permit anymore and that does make me sad.

Pat MacKenzie said...

I'm in the same boat as you (or on the same bike??!). I'd love to ride a bike but the old knees just won't allow it. I'm lucky if I can walk around a block.