Friday, September 27, 2013

FIRST TASTE OF THE SEASON

 

When I lived in Pittsburgh I would make pumpkin pies for my neighbors around Thanksgiving. They loved the pies. Said they tasted so-ooo good. Truth be told,  the secret to the flavor was the fact I didn't use sugar in my recipe. None at all. So what you got was all the pumpkin. And if I do say so myself, the pie was indeed delicious. But we only have it once a year. And still do.  For whatever reason I never make it at any other time during the year, except Thanksgiving. So that is that. When I moved here... local  restaurants started serving pumpkin pie in September, so that's when I began to enjoy it without the fuss in my kitchen. And although none of it is as good as mine, I like comparing them. Today I had my first taste for this season. For a $1.98 I got a nice slice of pumpkin pie. And I must admit is wasn't bad.  YUM! YUM! Do you eat pumpkin pie MORE than once a year?

13 comments:

Weekend-Windup said...

Pumpkin cake looks so beautiful and delicious...

Jon said...

I love pumpkin pie and, in fact, I love anything made with pumpkin. October is the month when I start baking pumpkin bread and I always bake it through the holidays.

When I was a kid, you could get pumpkin ice cream at Baskin Robbins. I don't know if they still make it.

linda eller said...

Yes, we are already eating anything pumpkin and love it!

Hollie said...

I haven't tried pumpkin pie! I love sweet potato! Most people tell me it tastes like sweet potato.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Like you we only make it at Thanksgiving. I do have a can of pumpkin in the pantry though and may just have to make one soon. Yours looks so good!

betty said...

Interesting not to put sugar in the pie recipe. But I bet it does taste good without it. I do like pumpkin pie around Thanksgiving. I did see it advertised in the stores already; good sign that the holidays are approaching :)

enjoy!

betty

Carol Z said...

I don't, even though I love it. I seem to be a pumpkin at Thanksgiving girl.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i sometimes make pumpkin pies around this time of year. i love it!

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre,
I LOVE PUMPKIN PIE!! I try to only get it during the Fall months because then I won't appreciate it as much, but whenever this season comes along, I can't wait to have some. There's nothing like homemade pumpkin pie. The stores just don't compare. Now, I am craving a slice of pumpkin pie.

Love,
~Sheri

Rose said...

I eat Pumpkin Pie whenever I see it in the grocery story. I love it and pumpkin is good for you.

Your recipe without sugar is even healthier.

Lori said...

I make pumpkin cake a few times a year, but rarely ever make a pumpkin pie. Thomas, however, makes butternut squash pies, and I like them better than pumpkin.

Angela said...

I love pumpkin, too, but typically just enjoy it from September-December... no real reason except it seems like a fall-ish food. I made pumpkin bars a few weeks back and even had to text a few close friends about it. It was like a kick-off to celebrating my favorite months of the year.

Nelle said...

I make pumpkin bread around this time, once it cools off. I will make pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and again at Christmas. I am curious, do you add anything to sweeten yours? Honey? Good to see you blogging again :) I have slacked off due to health but am trying to get revved up again.