Friday, May 1, 2015

A TOILET, SOME KITTENS, A TALE OF LOVE


Twelve years ago… my hubby and I were in the market for a new toilet. Because our rear ends are larger, than the average joe's, we were looking for a style that would accommodate us. The bigger the better. Water saving toilets were all the rage back then. And as you know, they are smaller. We wanted something old fashioned, with an extended bowl. We managed to locate one about an hour north of us. To get there we would have to take back country roads. So off we headed to get our new commode. It was a beautiful day. A glorious drive in the country. Along the way we saw many things. One of them was a sign. It said FREE KITTENS. We are suckers for kitties.Those BIG heads (pardon the pun, since we were talking toilets) and wide eyes. Our own cats had perished several years earlier and we thought stopping for a 'kitty cat break' sounded like a nice distraction. We agreed in advance to not be tempted by this opportunity. We were just LOOKING, nothing more. So we pulled off the road. The scene was chaotic. Kids were running every which way, and so was a great big old dog. There were 3 teeny, tiny kittens nestled in a bed in the garage. One of them ignored us… as we entered the room. But the other two... were all over us. To say they were adorable would be an understatement. We immediately scooped them up in our hands, hugging and kissing them. They mewed and purred. Is there any sound more precious? We were smitten. When it came time to leave, my husband was the first to cave in to his heart's desire.. He said, “Let’s take one of these cuties home.” I told him I could not choose between the two… they were both too sweet. I figured we'd better just walk away, like we agreed to before we stopped. But he would not take NO for an answer. He got the bright idea, to take BOTH of them, instead of just one. He insisted we do this, and not look back with regrets. He knew I wouldn't be able to forget these two little fuzzballs and he also knew... I would always be wondering, what if. At first, I thought he had lost his mind. We were not prepared to do this. I had to wrap my head around the thought of two cats, not one. We had no kitty supplies at home or for that matter in the car. He said we’d be fine. I knew he was right. So I not so reluctantly, gave in... and we adopted them. It was a long, bumpy ride back home, with this pair of kittens in tow... scurrying, climbing and clawing everywhere in the car... with me frantically trying to gather them up, as my husband drove. We headed straight to the pet store and got a litter box in lieu of a new toilet. We named the kitty sisters, Mira and Dara. Dara was mischievous, definitely the troublemaker. And Mira was an old soul. They adapted well to their new surroundings, sleeping together under the coffee table, at first. Then in a couple days... they settled in permanently, on the foot of our bed. Here at our house… they have silently ruled the roost for over a decade, giving us unconditional love, every single day. They are inseparable. We can not imagine one without the other. We have taken for granted… that they will always be here with us. Unfortunately, I recently discovered a lump on Dara’s head. It may just be a cyst or it could be something worse like cancer. I am worried sick, heartbroken at what we might find out. She goes to the vet tomorrow. Please keep her in your prayers. We are not ready to say goodbye. 

IMPORTANT UPDATE:We just got back from vet. It is definitely a tumor. Dara will have surgery on May 11th to remove it. We will find out then if it is benign or malignant. Could you please continue to keep her in your thoughts and prayers. We appreciate your support. Thank you.

16 comments:

Mildred said...

I am praying for Dara. This is such a precious photo. xoxo

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a wonderful love story. I once had 4 cats but over the years one by one they got older and died. I hated to see them go. The two oldest were 16 and 18 and that is a lot of years so you know I was quite attached to them. I'll keep your's in my prayers. Too soon to let her go for sure.

jack69 said...

Great story. Love the affection supplied by pets. The unconditional love is something we humans should learn more about. We will definitely be thinking of you and the kitty in the morrow.

Paula said...

I pray Dara comes out well. Hope you finally got your new toilet too.

betty said...

Do let us know, I too hope it is nothing serious. This gave me a lump in my throat, we are never ready to say good bye to our furry pets.

Betty

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I will say a prayer that the tumor will be benign. I know how much our pets mean to us! Loved reading about how you got them!

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh Taryterre, what a heart warming story, and then at the end to find out about Dara. I will certainly say a prayer for her. To be honest, I'm not a cat person, more of a dog person, but these bundles have brought you such happiness for many years. They are so cute and inseparable. Saying a prayer right now.

Thinking of you and sending comfort and love.

~Sheri

Jon said...

That's such a sweet story (and you know how much I love cats). It's so nice that your husband is receptive to them.I know a lot of men who hate cats.
I certainly pray that Dara will make a full recovery. Our cats are MUCH more than pets - - they are an important part of our lives.

Mildred said...

I just came back by and read your update. You guys have been on my heart all morning. I will be praying that the surgery will be successful on 5/11 and that Dara will make a full recovery. You both have lots of love and support here in blogland. xo

Mevely317 said...

Oh, I'm definitely sending up prayers for sweet Dara's recovery.
Yours is such a sweet story - one I can certainly relate to. In short, almost 2 years ago we went "just to look" and wound up with 2 pups because we couldn't agree on which one!

Hugs to Mira and Dara from Macie and Gracie!

Mildred said...

Stopping by to say Hi this a.m. Keeping you and Dara in my prayers. I pray that she will come through the surgery just fine and that no further treatment will be necessary.
My late mom's little mini dachshund passed away about 5 weeks ago. My oldest cat (12) begin to have seizures about the same time. I certainly know what a stressful time the waiting for Dara's surgery is. Hoping for the very best. xo

Hollie said...

Praying it is benign!!! Such a beautiful story!! We are the same way when it comes to animals!

Carol Z said...

There is no such thing as "just looking!" Prayers for Dara's recovery.

Mildred said...

Just read your Mother's Day post. Wishing you a blessed day. I will be praying for Dara's surgery Monday. God bless.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i hope dara will be okay! i lost my kitties a few years ago. they were 22 and 23 years old.

Shubham said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.