Thursday, May 21, 2015

TWO PEAS IN A POD AND A CACTUS


I love indoor plants. But they do not love me. They sense danger whenever I am around, because inevitably, I kill them. Sad but true. It’s not intentional, it just happens. But once upon a time it didn’t. Not sure when that changed, but it somehow did.  So... being without indoor plants in my house, became a fact of life, I have learned to live with... throughout the years. It makes me a little sorrowful, but... it does not stop me from looking at them, when I am, out and about. Every now and then, I get tempted to purchase one. A couple weeks ago,  I became enamored with a cactus I spotted in Lowe’s. I spied it on a shelf… hidden in the back, and pulled it out… to have a look. It was very unusual. It was called a Coral Cactus. Something about it spoke to me. It whispered sweet nothings in my ear and insisted I take it home. So I put it in my cart, intending to buy it. But when I got to the register, my heart would not let me. The thought of it dying… was more than I could bear, so I put it back on the shelf. But… before I left the store, I snapped a picture of it, blinking it into permanence. End of story, right? Out of sight, out of mind. Wrong. The following Wednesday, I was visiting my grandson. He had just had surgery to remove his tonsils. So, I thought I’d stop by and cheer him up. Little did I know... he’s a budding horticulturist. Guess what was sitting on the counter in my daughter’s kitchen? My cactus. The one I did not get for myself. Apparently, a couple days before his operation, my grandson went to Lowes with his parents. (that was the day after I had been there)  He saw this cactus. Took it down from the shelf and ogled it. He really, really liked it. He begged his parents to buy it for him. He is seven going on eight years old. They couldn’t figure out why he wanted a cactus. They told him he did not need it. But he was persistent. Said it was a ‘special plant’. He insisted he would take good care of it. So... they gave in, and bought it for him. Imagine that? The same cactus I loved. What are the odds? We’re two peas in a pod, that boy and I. I took out my camera… and showed my grandson, the picture I had taken of it, sitting on the shelf at Lowes... before it had come home with him. He stared at the photo, for a moment or two. “Aw grandma”, he said looking up at me. I smiled. He smiled back. He then left my side, and went over to look at his new plant, on the countertop... thinking deep thoughts, that only a child can. It tugged at my heart seeing him with the cactus. Some things are just meant to be, aren't they? 

14 comments:

Jon said...

That is truly an incredible story, and it's not just coincidence - it's definitely something in the genes.

My mother and her sister lived 3,000 miles apart, but they were always buying the exact same things - - each without the other knowing about it.

I'm glad the cactus got a home in your family.

Paula said...

What a cute true story. Now you can go visit the plant you loved when you visit your grandson. Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

blogoratti said...

Nice story, indoor plants need care and love and this was a nice ending for everyone!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

what a sweet story!

Mildred said...

Thanks for sharing such a special story. Incredible that you both were charmed by the same plant. Hope he is doing well from surgery. Thx for the update on Dara. Praying she won't have to wear the cone. xoxo

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That was more than sheer coincidence. You were meant to put that cactus back so your grandson could have it. Little miracles happen every day, sometimes we never know about them. So glad you can see the result of this one!

jack69 said...

HOW SWEET IS THIS? What a neat story. I like it.

I am afflicted with the same problem, My mama said I loved the plants to death.

betty said...

This is so sweet! Now you can go and visit your cactus and of course spend time with your darling grandson!! Actually I think cactus would be an easy plant to take care of.

betty

Jon said...

I forgot to mention that I don't have any luck with indoor plants. All I have to do is look at them and they die. I've even killed cactus plants.

Hey, it's a gift....

Mevely317 said...

Amazing story! This is the stuff that gives me (good) goosebumps.
Like my boss is forever telling us, "Everything happens for a reason!"

PS - Like you, plants aren't particularly fond of me. I once had a boss who (only half in jest) suggested I put on a Halloween mask when she was out of town so her collection of plants wouldn't know it was me come to feed them.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, I love this story, Taryterre. And who would have thought that the cactus that you loved and didn't buy for yourself was the very same one that your grandson wanted and took home with him? Maybe it was bought so that you could admire it when you came over. I know what you mean about plants inside the house, they don't last long with me either. I do better with outside plants for sure.

What an incredible story, and I really loved all of it.

~Sheri

Roses around the door... said...

lovely story :)

lyndagrace said...

I love your story. It made me go “aww”. Very sweet.
I have houseplants around. They are hardy ones though. They have to be able to almost take care of themselves.

Barb said...

This is a winderful story of happenstance. Serendipity. May the cactus thrive under your grandson's tender care.