Friday, May 15, 2015

GOT MYSELF A PICKLE, IT'S A DILLY


It won’t be long until FAIR time is upon us. That is the high point of life for most the people in these parts. Everybody vying for a ribbon for this or that… be it cow, pig, cake, photograph or quilt. When we were younger and mobility wasn’t an issue… my husband and I used to head out to the fairgrounds to see the exhibits and animals, then walk the midway… eating funnel cakes, cotton candy, corndogs on a stick and fried dill pickles. Until I moved here… I had NEVER, ever heard of fried pickles. Apparently, some guy in Arkansas popularized them back in the early 60’s. They are supposedly a staple in the south. The thought never crossed my mind to take a crisp delicious thing like a pickle… slice it, then smother the pieces in flour and bread crumbs and deep fry them. When I first saw this… I asked WHY anybody would ruin a nice kosher dill like that? Nobody had an answer. People here just swore they were delicious. Curiosity got the better of me and I finally had to bite. I wanted to see for myself what it tasted like? Frankly, I did not understand what everybody was raving about? First off, you have to let the fried pickle COOL off before chomping down on it, or you’ll burn your tongue. That takes forever. Honestly, it does. Secondly, the dipping sauce (ranch I’m told, is the best kind) is hard to carry around, if you’re roaming the fair. Eating this country delicacy sitting down, makes more sense. So now, one of the fast food places in town, serves them year round. But… some diehard fans of the FRIED PICKLE say the ones at the fairgrounds taste better. Truthfully to me, they all taste the same. Like a pickle covered with flour and bread crumbs, deep fried. I’m not impressed. But still… I have had my share of them throughout the years, in spite of that sentiment. Because junk food and fried food... tends to be irresistible, doesn’t it? Have you ever had a fried dill pickle? What do you think?

17 comments:

Weekend-Windup said...

I too have not heard of Fried Pickles. By seeing i think it will be tasty...

Mildred said...

Only once!!! I burned my tongue so badly that I have never wanted another one! I do have fond memories of the fair when we were able to walk around easily.

Wishing you and the kitties a good weekend.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

My first try at fried dill pickles was the best. I was visiting one of my sons out of state and a restaurant there served Fried Dill pickle chips. I've never had them anywhere else. Every one else makes them with dill pickle spears and I don't like them half as much. I'm with you though there is something very tempting about anything deep fried.

betty said...

I have never tried a fried pickle, but they do sound delicious! Fairs are so much fun; will be going to one soon, hopefully they will have fried pickles there so I can try one!

betty

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i think every restaurant and bar serves fried pickled here. i prefer fried pickle chips because fried spears are harder to eat. i am a huge dill pickle lover but the fried ones are far from my favorite.

Jon said...

Fried pickles are definitely not my cup of tea. I crave a good ol' fashioned unadulterated dill - - with pastrami on rye.

I hope Dara is doing okay!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Love your post title. I haven't ever eaten a fried pickle. They never sounded all that good to me. I usually reserve my dill pickle eating for those on top of my hamburger! lol! I just might have to try one. A trip to the fair sounds like a winner for this year. We haven't been to one in ages.

Jean said...

I tried frying them once, but prefer buying them already cooked. :) I like the chips with a hamburger or hotdog. Take care, jean.

Barb said...

I had to smile as I read this because we took a friend to dinner in Denver recently, and she was raving about the fried pickles at a nearby restaurant (we didn't eat there). I have never tried one, and I'm not sure I ever will, but I guess I am a bit curious. Like you though, I tend to wonder, "Why?"

Mevely317 said...

It sounds like a tired joke, but the only time in my life I liked pickles was when I was preggers!

I'll have to ask my son about fried pickles. Channeling that lady from the "Jake from AllState" television commerical, "They sound hideous."

Hope Dara is recovering nicely!

Sheila Y said...

I've had the pickle chips several times. They are use flour to fry with instead of bread crumbs. The best I've had was at a seafood restaurant in Dauphin Island, AL. They sliced their pickles thinner. Hope Dara is doing much better. Take care , Sheila

Paula said...

I've seen them on a menu but haven't tried them. I'm not even fond of pickles so don't know if I would like them.

jack69 said...

I did not learn about the fried Dill's until about 4 years ago. I do like them.

Red Rose Alley said...

Fried Dill Pickles? I've never heard of them before, but they do look yummy. I want to try one now! I always loved the fair growing up, Taryterre, and when you talked about the fair and prizes, it really hit home for me. You know, whenever I come over to visit with you, it always feels like I have a kindred spirit from another corner of the world.

Have a deep fried dill pickle at the fair this year, would you, and think about me. :~)

love, ~Sheri

Carol Z said...

I'm not much of a pickle fan, so the fried variety doesn't hold much interest for me. Never tried one. But when I see my favorite cannoli stand at a street fair you know I will be there. That's what I look for.

Mildred said...

I hope Dara is feeling better. Sending hugs to her.

Danielle L Zecher said...

I've never tried fried pickles. I'm a southerner, and all for frying most foods, but somehow the thought of fried pickles just doesn't appeal to me.