Friday, June 28, 2013

BLIND TRUST

 
I hate to travel. All those decisions. Where to stay? What to wear? What to take? And now with technology it's even worse. You have the cell phone. The computer. The tablet. The kindle or nook. All the chargers.  We usually travel by car, so that means everything gets tucked inside it for safe keeping while on the road. That makes me nervous. Clothes in a suitcase I can replace. The rest of it, not so easily and not without great expense. Yet sometimes you have to trust complete strangers to treat you right and not take advantage.  Case in point this past trip east. We drove  hours to see a concert and got there before we had time to check into a hotel.  So everything we owned was packed in the car, covered by a blanket. And the only parking lot available was one where you had to leave your car keys for them to move the car. They state up front they are not responsible for anything. I was hysterical and did not want to leave the keys for them to ransack through my personal belongings. My hubby shrugged it off and simply said, this is the way people do business and we have insurance. This did not comfort me, so I was fidgety throughout the entire performance worried about all our stuff in the car.  Not to mention the thought of our identities being stolen, too because of all the pertinent information on the computers. Therefore, I did not enjoy the concert as much as I could have. When we came back to get the car, everything seemed in tact. Nothing appeared out of place. But you never know, do you??? Something could still happen down the road as a result of this? Would you trust a total stranger with your car keys, car, suitcases and computers and just walk away for three to four hours??? And hand him $15 too. Seemed everyone did. But I wonder how many were from out of town, with a packed car, like we were?
 
 

12 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i think i would have been nervous too!

RoeH said...

It's hard to be trustful of anybody anymore and in any situation.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That would be a hard one especially when they state they are not responsible for anything. I'm glad all was fine when you got back. But it is a chance we all take as nothing is really safe anymore. Homes are broken into all the time too. It's good we have insurance, but like you say all your personal info is there too. That can't be insured.

Lynda said...

I would have felt the same way you did - - - especially since I have seen shows on TV that have hidden cameras inside cars. Not all the valet drivers were reputable.

Lucy said...

I would have been nervous to. You never know. We are not trusting like we used to be.

jack69 said...

Okay, we are the same about traveling by auto, plane or bus. What to take, pack etc. That is why we love living in the RV, remember? Everything you need is here.

It really is easier.

But Yes there are always concerns in leaving STUFF in the vehicle.

Nelle said...

My car came with a "valet key" that you cannot open the trunk with. That is wonderful for circumstances like this. I always valet park at the hospitals.

Carol Z said...

I would have been nervous, too. We have a lot of valet parking in New York and one of my friends that I often travel with will never use it. We've walked blocks, but I can appreciate his caution.

Pat MacKenzie said...

I would hope the employees you trust your keys to are bonded. That would help to increase the trust issues. I've wondered what the valet key was for, now, thanks to one of your friends here, I know. I've never used valet parking.

TARYTERRE said...

We have a van so there is no trunk or way to hide stuff away with a valet key.

Red Rose Alley said...

Yikes, I can totally understand how you felt, Terytarre. That would make me very nervous too. What was the concert you saw? I haven't been to a concert in years? That's too bad you couldn't enjoy it to the fullest.

I hope your weekend is a more pleasant one.

Love,
~Sheri

Red Rose Alley said...

Ooops, spelled your name wrong, Taryterre. That is such an unusual name, but I think that's why I love it!

~Sheri