Sunday, June 2, 2013

THE SOUND OF WATER, SEIZE THE MOMENT

 
Years ago I had a waterfall on my patio in the backyard.  I loved going out there to listen to the water trickle over the simulated rocks. The sound had a calming effect on me, sitting there with my ice tea in hand and my eyes closed. It was a nice escape from the drudgery of homemaking. But when the fountain broke, I lost that sense of peace. Especially when we didn't replace it.  And that made me sad. Over time because of physical ailments and what-not we let the backyard, along with the front get overgrown. It is so far gone now that it would cost a fortune to have someone come in and do it for us. So we have a more natural, wilderness feeling here. Any solace I derive from being outdoors is overshadowed by the mess surrounding us, though. But I have reconciled myself to the state of things, and find comfort in the things I can. So imagine my delight when I recently went to the local garden shop... and happened upon a beautiful waterfall there. It reminded me of the one I once had and it brought a smile to my face, transporting me back in time. Joy can be found when you least expect it.
SEIZE THE MOMENT!
So I did, by filming it.
 
 
But it's not quite the same as having the fountain at home, is it?
There the noise level doesn't interfere with the tranquility of the sound of water. And at the garden shop it did. So I briefly entertained the notion of buying it. However my hubby suggested I run some hot water and take a nice leisurely bath, instead. Not the same thing, right?


14 comments:

Jon said...

The fountain is beautiful and soothing. Taking a bath and running hot water just isn't the same.....

jack69 said...

Ah yes, the sound of running water is good. We love to camp by running water, the sleep is better. SWEET entry! Memories.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i think you should buy the fountain to get that peaceful feeling back in your life!

linda eller said...

I too had a water feature at one time and enjoyed it so much. We let things go that bring us pleasure....why???
Have a good Sunday.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love the fountain. It's restful to listen to the water. I take a lot of bubble baths, I call them my little trip to the beach. That is about as close as I can get to the water most of the time.

Formerly known as Frau said...

Maybe you can buy a CD or tape of water fountain sounds and other nature sounds and turn it on whenever the mood strikes you. Have a wonderful Sunday!

Forty Pound Sack said...

I'd be buying the fountain. Just sayin' :)

Roses around the door... said...

I wish i lived near you as i would come and do the garden for you!:)

Ken Riches said...

I bet if you tackled just four square feet of yard a day, in no time you would have the yard recaptured. Then you could get the fountain fixed and be soothed again.

Lynda said...

Typical comment from a husband! Our yard can get away from us fast, too. It's a question of who is going to win some days. Right now we are advancing - - but there is a long ways to go!

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre,
I love the fact that you got peace and joy in just viewing the water fountain at the store and reminiscing of the times that you enjoyed it in your back yard. I love water falls! Aren't they so peaceful? I used to have one next to our pool in our old home, but when we sold the home, the pool and waterfall went with it and were a thing of the past. I really miss it. We must get a waterfall someday - sounds so nice to me right now.

Love,
~Sheri

Angela said...

I liked your post, but I have to say I am LOVING how you add a picture of yourself with whatever it is you are talking about... it adds a personal touch. Very creative.

Belle said...

That is a beautiful waterfall. I know what you mean about not being able to do things like you used to. No, a bath isn't quite the same as a waterfall!

Lucy said...

Sounds like it would be worth it if you could afford it, sorry but I know how I have to watch my pennies, to try to get one. I would really love itbut like you my yard is not as it should be.