Friday, June 14, 2013

THE CLASSIC LOVE OF MUSIC

 
My hubby is a classical music enthusiast. He is serious about his music. His dream is to someday go the Verbier Festival in Switzerland. We spent many a year with season tickets to the symphony wherever we lived, with the exception of here.  He is not too impressed with the quality of the local small town orchestra here, so we do not attend.  But when the opportunity to go elsewhere to get his music fix arises he jumps at the chance. But that always means a road trip. This year it was a five hour jaunt. He got tickets to The Pittsburgh Symphony at Heinz Hall in Pennsylvania. Our old stomping grounds from 35 years ago. They were featuring Yuja Wang a young world renown pianist. She would be playing Tchaikovsky's Concerto No. 1 in B-flat minor for Piano and Orchestra, Opus 23 with conductor Manfred Honeck. My husband was beside himself. He was like a groupie going to a rock concert. I probably would have felt more at home at a rock concert myself, since classical music is his passion, not mine. But I love Pgh. So I was happy to be there.  I have never seen him so excited, though. Since I got the new camera for my birthday he asked me if I could take a picture of her for him. He told me she would come out in an evening gown and stand by the piano. That was the shot he wanted. This was not an easy feat, but I did manage one. She is a charismatic force on stage. And ladies and gentleman to say she can play the piano is an understatement. This woman is a superstar who was born to tickle the ivories.
 
 
 
 

13 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

how wonderful! your husband has good taste!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That was an extra special treat for the two of you. I like all kinds of music, it just depends on my mood. I can only imagine the work and dedication that goes into being a super star like that.

Belle said...

What a beautiful woman too. How wonderful your husband could hear her in person. I used to go to the symphony with my mom in Calgary, Alberta. We enjoyed it immensely.

Formerly known as Frau said...

I like Classical but not like my hubby does....I can handle once or twice a year. Looks like a fun time!
Have a great weekend!

jack69 said...

That was a special time. Thanks.
Since my hearing loss I miss the sounds.
Years ago I had several Airlines tapes of classical. Loved to sit back at times and listen. I had no idea what it was but I enjoyed it.

Chatty Crone said...

What a wonderful time - you and your hubby! sandie

Ninny said...

I love classical music, too, but opera is my favorite. Every Saturday morning, my mother would crank up the classical music (usually 101 Strings Orchestra) or opera and we would get the house clean.

linda eller said...

What a wonderful time for your hubby and glad you got the picture he wanted too....a plus!

Ken Riches said...

Road trips are the bomb. Sounds like a fun thing to do.

Lucy said...

Your husband has excellent taste in ladies. You 2 look like you just go together

RoeH said...

My ex was from Pgh..and I liked that town. Torture-ously hot in the summertime though with all the humidity. You think it will cool off with the coming storm you see and it makes it worse. I never lived there. But I'd go back for that music program.

Funny in My Mind said...

My son used to want to conduct the Philly orchestra till he dropped out of college. Sigh.
I love some classical too!
A road trip away is always fun, right? New sights and sounds and food!
Great pic of you and the hubby. Still love the hair!

Nelle said...

I used to have season tickets to McCarter Theatre in Princeton. I saw so many talented artists there. I love violin, cello and piano in particular.