Tuesday, June 11, 2013

MUMS THE WORD FOR ME


I did not fill my outdoor containers with herbs and veggies this year... as I originally intended because of the crazy weather. Therefore, things around here are kind of BLAH. Especially since the only thing I did plant were a couple pots of salmon colored geraniums that got attacked by an army of GIANT ants. They didn't survive the spray I had to use to get rid of the army invading my front porch. So I no longer have anything colorful decorating that area. And to be frank, I gave up trying to surround myself with nature's beauty outdoors. Inside though is a different story. I recently decided I was in the mood for a treat. A bouquet of fresh cut flowers in a pretty vase always brings a smile to my face. My hubby always gives me roses. But MUMS are a favorite of mine too. Probably because they remind me of my favorite time of year, autumn.  I may be rushing that season, but I bought some anyway. Did you know chrysanthemums are used in Asia to make tea? In Korea to make wine. They are also used as a garnish in Japanese cooking. And in China the leaves are used as greens, boiled and steamed. And the flower petals are added to soup for their aroma. Sounds appetizing doesn't it?
 
 

13 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love Mums too. They seem to very popular in flower arrangements no matter what time of year. I didn't know all those things about them though. I don't think I'll be eating any but do enjoy looking at them!

Jon said...

Flowers are so rare here in arid west Texas that I've almost forgotten what they look like. My back yard used to have some wild roses, but this year is especially hot & dry. The Mums look beautiful.

RoeH said...

I love mums! They are so old fashioned and beautiful in their own way.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

my mums are already about a foot high in my lower gardens. i think mums might be my favorite flower too. you can buy dried mums which have been formed into a bud and when you pour hot water on them to make tea, the bud opens into a flower. they are gorgeous!

Lucy said...

I love mums. Those are very pretty. I usually have mums outside but I have no room for any other plant outside.

linda eller said...

Another mum lover here and they do make me think of my favorite time of year too - fall. They are so bright and their color varies greatly.

Belle said...

It is wonderful this beautiful flower has so many uses. I can't have flowers on my balcony or in the house because I'm allergic. I do miss them.

jack69 said...

Shucks no, I did not know all that about Mums. They were Sherry's mama's favorite in the world. Now I have more to love about them.
((HUGS))

Pat MacKenzie said...

I saw some beautiful mums at a nursery yesterday...beautiful. Who knew they had so many other uses.

Hollie said...

MUMS are my favorite too as well as FALL!! I must admit I'm already longing for FALL as we have been in the 90s the past couple of days!!

Ninny said...

Mums are so pretty and sturdy flowers. My favorite flowers are carnations for their fragrance!

Red Rose Alley said...

Your MUMS are so pretty, Taryterre. I love the color. You know, they used to sell the MUMS when I was in high school before the football games. It was such a delight to get one. They were the big fat ones, and so pretty. How nice of your husband to bring you roses once in awhile.

Have a good Friday, my friend.

Love,
~Sheri

Chatty Crone said...

Is it hot were you are - I wouldn't mind fall all year long! lol