Wednesday, June 5, 2013

YOUTH IN A BOX, THE COST OF AGING

 
I embrace my old age and all the things that come with it. Most notably all the aches and pains. The senior discounts. The handicap pass. AARP.  When my hair started turning grey ten years ago I welcomed this rite of passage. I relished it in fact. I was determined to be the lady with the white hair. In part because my nana was all grey/white at twenty-eight. And my aunt dyed her hair jet black as she got older. I loved their looks. And my mom's too, who had her hair frosted when I was growing up. As a teen I used SUN-IN to make my locks blond. But the natural redhead in me, used to come out. So I'd get frustrated. Seems all my life I waited to get older, so my hair would have character. So time marched forward and my hair got greyer and greyer. And I was okay with it. This is what I wanted. This also put my hubby and I on a more level playing field because his hair finally started turning too. Why is it that men look none the worse for wear as they age, but that women have to work at it? I'm just curious. Anyway, I was content to be older and be me. Grey hair and all. But when the hubby got the new job and left to spend more time on the road working with much younger people. I started to re-examine what I saw in the mirror. I had aged beyond my years. And I suddenly wanted to shake things up. So I did the unthinkable. In a weak moment, I  reached for a box of Garnier and dyed my hair. I was in shock for the first week or two asking myself, "WHY?WHY?WHY?" But now I've gotten used to it. And I like it. My husband loves it. Thinks it looks marvelous. Makes me look younger. Takes me back to my roots. So for $7.50 I changed my life. Cheaper than a facelift, right? Now I'm worried I won't get the senior discount.
 
 THIS IS MY HAIR BEFORE
 
THIS IS MY HAIR AFTER
 
 

18 comments:

Funny in My Mind said...

e have a server and she is 38 years old and almost completely gray. She has a young face but aged hair so everyone always thinks she is 20 years older.
I prefer the red on you. It brightens your face and easily drops 20 years. Just my opinion.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

you are such a hoot! way to go!

Jon said...

I'm glad you shared your secret.....I won't tell anyone.
I've known some people who got grey hair in their 30's.

For some inexplicable reason, no one on my father's side of the family ever got grey hair. My father was 84 when he died and he never had any grey.

My Mom's hair didn't turn grey but it turned a kind of very unique champagne blonde color. People thought she colored her hair, but she didn't.

Pat MacKenzie said...

I like your new color. I've used Nice and Easy by Clairol for years but find now I'm using a lighter shade. A white streak in the front insists on being visible and I like it. The rest is too salt and peppery for my taste, so I turn it light reddish. Isn't it nice that we seniors can touch up our hair without people being shocked or offended. Yea us!

jack69 said...

I like a lady to wear what ever color she wants. I like my girl grey, I think she likes me all bald instead of part.
But you are right It works great from the bottle and much better and safer than the face lift.
(HUGS)

Lynda said...

I'm impressed at what a natural color you picked for yourself. I agree that you do look younger. I am unable to go near perms or hair dyes because my skin is super sensitive and will break out in a rash.

Chatty Crone said...

Got to admit it did take some time away! Looks nice. sandie

Paula said...

Lookin' good lady!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I really like the new color. Looks great! You are so right...7.50 is a lot cheaper than a face lift. :)

Roses around the door... said...

The red really suits you, i agree it takes years off you. wishing you a lovely day x

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I agree that grey hair does make you look older. I had lots of grey in my hair when I was in my 30's and started frosting it and then dying it but when I turned 50 I decided I'd had it with coloring it all the time so I quit. Now it is almost entirely white. I guess I'm just happy to be.

RoeH said...

I'm one that fights aging and I will as long as I can. I can't just accept it. I go to the gym every day - have a trainer on Wednesdays...have colored my hair since I was 15 ... always looking for that miracle. You go, girl. Looks great.

Lucy said...

I am nearly white haired now. I like your dye job. It does make you look younger or maybe it is a combination of the color and the smile!!. I look at my alcoholic neighbor's girlfriend and she has very little hair left, she has bleached her hair until it is so short she has to buy one of those fake hair pony tails to cover it up. Maybe beer or bleach or a combination of the 2.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, I like the color, Taryterre. And it does make you look younger too. When I was in my 30's, I went to the salon and got blonde streaks through my hair (I'm a brunette, mind you), and I really liked it for a few months, but then I went back to my natural hair color. I've also had a brownish red at one time too. It's nice to mix things up once in awhile, and so glad your husband likes it.

Love,
~Sheri

Angela said...

My hair is red.
Always has been.
Always will be. =)

Love your color!

Forty Pound Sack said...

I think you look great :) My hair has been everything from espresso brown to champagne blonde and even, unfortunately, purple, which was an accident, of course, that took three months to fade out. Your new color really suits your skin tone. Hope you love it!!!

Belle said...

I think it looks terrific! It does take years off.

Carol Z said...

You look so cute. I've been coloring my hair for about twenty five years. Every once in a while I decide to see how it looks "naturally." I start screaming when I look in the mirror and I run -- not easy for me to do -- right over to the hairdresser.