Monday, June 17, 2013

OPULENCE AND GRANDEUR

 OUTSIDE OF HEINZ HALL
LOBBY
ONE OF MANY STAIRCASES
CONCERT HALL & AUDITORIUM
SEATS
THE GRAND TIER, MEZZANINE
'LOGE' SEATING.
WE USED TO SIT HERE
WITH OUR DAUGHTERS
ON SATURDAY MORNINGS
FOR THE SYMPHONY
CONCERT SERIES FOR CHILDREN
TICKETS WERE AMAZINGLY CHEAP
OVERHEAD LIGHTS
IT'S HARD TO SEE HOW ORNATE THESE ARE
DOORS
ARTWORK
WATER FOUNTAIN
MIRROR
LADIES BATHROOM
NOT FAR FROM THE STAGE DOOR OUTSIDE
IN DOWNTOWN PGH
 
"Heinz Hall was originally built in 1927 as a Movie Palace called
Loews's Penn Theatre. It featured vaulted ceilings with bronze and crystal chandeliers, marble staircases, 24kt. leafing, silk draperies and massive ornamental columns. In 1964 the theatre closed it's doors and was scheduled for demolition. Henry J Heinz II rescued and renovated it creating a new home for the Pittsburgh Symphony. It reopened in September of 1971."
 
(CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE FOR A BETTER LOOK)

12 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i've been there many times! it is beautiful!

Bobbi and Gracie said...

This place is just beautiful!! We got lost in Pittsburg while going to a business meeting last year so it's doubtful that I ever venture up that way again but it's good to see pictures. Lovely!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a grand old building. Thankfully it was preserved. Many old theaters have gone to ruin. You have some good memories there for sure. Glad you got to go again.

Lucy said...

Great pictures. Looks like it is beautiful inside. Many of our really old nice buildings have been turn down. They are building a new hay market and really making it nice I guess, but the place that really spends money from donors is all of the sports arenas next to the university.

linda eller said...

Absolutely beautiful/ornate. So glad he kept it for the city.

Lynda said...

It is gorgeous. So glad you got to share it with us and that the beautiful history of it was preserved.

Belle said...

I'm so glad Heinz preserved this building. Wonderful! I love the ladies room and wish I had one in my apartment.

Chatty Crone said...

Wow what a gorgeous place inside - big and grandiose.

Rick Watson said...

I love those old buildings. There are a few in Birmingham that are remarkable.

Hollie said...

Wow!! What a gorgeous place!! I enjoyed seeing and hearing about it!! Thank you for sharing!!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Beautiful! I'd love to see this building. This is what I love about blogging, I get to see things and learn things I'd probably never otherwise get to see!

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre,
Heinz Hall is a grand place to visit. The ladies bathroom is charming. I would love to see the art work that is displayed on the walls. Thank you for sharing these pictures. My husband has been telling me that he wants to see the Opera.

Love,
~Sheri