Friday, July 26, 2013

NEW NOTEBOOKS NOT LAPTOPS

 
It's that time. The time when all the schools send home their lists of what is needed during the upcoming year. My girls are grown and long past this yearly ritual. But when they were growing up I had a cupboard full of school supplies so they never had to want for a thing throughout the school year. They had Trapper Keepers and dozens of folders to put inside decorated with kittens and unicorns. I remember when I was a kid the thrill of making book covers out of plain brown grocery bags. And buying those standard black and white composition books. Now they come in every color. And... I go a little crazy, every year, when the new school supplies come out... because I scout out super cool notebooks for my writing. And  get pens to match. My pens have to be color coordinated matching the color of the notebooks. I'm still a bit old fashioned,  in that regard... preferring pen and paper to typing the words on a computer. Even though, that is ultimately where those words will end up. I will tell you that transcribing from paper to computer is a royal pain, however. That's why a book I wrote a couple years ago is still sitting there in longhand waiting for me to take the time to put it in the computer. I doubt the story is as good as I once thought. That is why I'm sitting on it. Besides I'm not sure I can read my writing, at this point, anyway? But I keep plugging along with new ideas, in new notebooks with new pens hoping that something I write is entertaining enough to take it a step further. When that happens I'll let you know. In the meantime, you can find me in Aisle Seven with the school supplies, giddy with excitement about the new assortment of colors and designs available in paper products and writing utensils. 
 
 

16 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i still love browsing the aisles filled with school supplies. oh my gosh, i forgot about making book covers. i was like a little martha steward when i covered my books!

RoeH said...

I liked the old PeeChees. Did they spell it that way? Can't remember.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I remember the excitement of new school supplies. I still have an assortment of things unused stashed away. Notebooks will never go out of style for me either. I haven't written any books like you have but love to write down thoughts and notes to self. I have many journals filled with all sorts of good things. I keep them but I'm not sure why.

Theresa Chong said...

It's been very long time since my last time to school...

jack69 said...

I know for a fact my handwriting has deteriorated since I use the keyboard so much. I lost Chrome (somehow) now my comments donot have spell check and I am pathetic.
((HUGS)) from Iowa

linda eller said...

My kids are all grown and gone too, but I still like looking through all the school supplies and 'remembering' the good old days. Have a great Friday.

Rose said...

I thought it was a fun time getting school supplies for my children when they were young.

Today, all they need is electronics!

Sara S. said...

I love going through the school supply aisle at the store, even though I don't have kids. I like getting the sparkly shiny notebooks and my husband usually goes for the plain ones. Then he wonders why I want to spend the extra money on something shiny? With a big smile I tell him it inspires me to use it if I like how it looks!!! He just rolls his eyes and throws it in the cart.

Thanks for sharing!

krueth said...

I love the back to school aisles. I take my 2 grandkids and find their school list and we have fun buying for the school year. I also am a daycare provider so I really stock up on the new crayons, markers, gluesticks and the good ole Elmers glue :-) I also love, love, love those colored composition notebooks, I have a stash of them too! Wendy

Ninny said...

As a kid, I thought school shopping was better than Christmas! And as a retired teacher, I still love the smell of new crayons! I can't resist the school supply sections at stores. You hit the nail on the head with this post. Trapper Keepers are vintage now!

Chatty Crone said...

I bet you in 25 years writing will be a thing of the past and won't even be taught in school!

Jon said...

Now that school is far behind me, I enjoy looking at the back-to-school supplies. And I do like the Composition notebooks - especially now that they are colorful!

Lucy said...

In our little country school paper and pencils were furnished which was good since my family seemed to be worried about money all the time. When my kids started school it was fun to buy the spiral notebooks and new pencils. We had to struggle to get them sometimes but we always managed.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh Taryterre,
I love that you get so excited when the school supplies come out. Are they coming out already? I have mixed feelings about this, as I love to look at all the new stuff in the stores, but get a bit sad too because that time in my life has passed me, and it was one of the happiest time in my life when my kids were all in school and growing up.

Keep writing, my friend. Did I tell you that I have been writing short stories about my childhood just for my children to read, and they can pass them on to their children and so on. You should do the same. I can imagine you would have some good stories to tell.

Have a nice weekend. Glad you found some good stuff.

Love,
~Sheri

Carol Z said...

What a cute picture! I just bought a little notebook to carry in my totebag.

Pam said...

I saw those colorful composition books at the store today. They are shockingly colorful! I always buy some extra school supplies every year and donate them. I love picking that stuff out and it's cheap, so it's fun for me too.