Monday, July 15, 2013

A GREYHOUND AT MY DOOR

 
I grew up loving dogs not cats. I had a beagle, as a child. Got her on a Christmas Eve. She meant everything to me. But during a vacation to my grandparents in California I saw my first cat and fell in love. I was devastated I couldn't bring it home. It was back to dogs then because that's what my parents liked. A collie mixed breed and later a poodle. When I met my husband he had just lost his two German Sheppard's, but he also had a calico cat. I was smitten with him and it. And to this day have given up dogs in lieu of kitties. So imagine my surprise to see this odd creature lounging  on my front porch the other day. He growled at me when I came out my own front door. And that made me leery of him. I tried to chase him away but he lingered a while. I was able to immortalize him in photos before he disappeared from sight. I wonder who he belongs to and if we'll see him again. I thought he looked kind of ugly, in a cute way.
 
A GREYHOUND, I THINK???
 
 

14 comments:

linda eller said...

I also grew up around dogs, but love cats and have had one for the past 10 years or so. They are easier to care for, and are fun to play with and watch.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Sure hope he found his way home.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

awwww...poor pup. i wonder if he was lost? looks like either a greyhound or a whippet?

Forty Pound Sack said...

I hope he was lost and not abandoned, and I hope he found his way home ~

Paula said...

Doesn't have a collar on either. Maybe if he comes back you can adopt him.

Carol Z said...

Looks like an Italian Greyhound. Friends of mine in Nashville had one. I had a cat growing up and cats in Nashville.

Chatty Crone said...

My next door neighbor just bought one of those.

jack69 said...

Definitely some Greyhound in my opinion.
Hope he has a home.
I am not a cat lover, but I admire the cat's independence. Just cannot help it.
((HUGS))

Bobbi and Gracie said...

Just catching up on your posts... that's terrible that you didn't have power. Did you lose a lot? The crabs look good! Happy Anniversary!! (love the pic of you)

Lucy said...

I just don't understand why people does not obey the law, at least in Ne. and keep them home and secure. It does look like a grey hound.

Pat MacKenzie said...

That was a beautiful dog. Sure hope he's someplace safe now. I've always been a cat person but don't have any right now. I have to make do with my daughter's cats.

Ninny said...

I've had dogs and cats my whole life and loved every one. I've also had lizards, birds, guinea pigs, fish, and rabbits. I think what you have there is a whippet. They're smaller versions of greyhounds.

Pam said...

He does look like a greyhound. We used to have a whippet when I was a kid and she was a little standoff-ish. Hope he goes back to wherever he came from.

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre,
That is so strange that he came right to your front porch and then growled at you. I am wondering if he'll ever come around again. I'd love to know. I am such a dog person, and have had dogs all my life. I am a bit uneasy around cats.

Love,
~Sheri