Saturday, April 13, 2013

GNOMES IMAGINATION REALIZED

Years ago when we lived in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania...
we were neighbors with a wood carver. He would whittle the hours away and tell stories about his creations. Our children were little so this nice man built a gnome house for them in our backyard near the base of a tree, complete with furniture, dishes, candlesticks and clothes. And because the gnomes were mystical they never actually appeared there because they were better left to the children's imagination. Throughout the years he told our girls and us countless stories about the gnomes and we gobbled them up. The images we conjured up of them were quite traditional. Truth be told the gnomes looked a bit like Santa with a  mane of white hair and beards like snow. They wore red pointy hats, blue jackets with  wide belts and BIG buckles. And they all had brown trousers and oversized work boots.  Compare that to the 21st century and the gnomes I recently encountered in the local garden shop. My goodness things have changed.
 
SOME AREN'T FRIENDLY
 
 
SOME WEAR THEIR PROFESSIONS ON THEIR SLEEVE
FIREFIGHTER, COP, HUNTER
 
 
OTHERS ARE HIPPIES LOST IN THE 60's
 
 
AND SOME ARE LOOKING FOR THEIR MOTORCYCLES
 
 
ME, I JUST WANT ONE LIKE MY CHILDREN AND I IMAGINED.
 
 
THIS ONE IS JUST PERFECT, SO HE CAME HOME WITH ME.

PS)
AND HE'S NOT TAKING A TRIP ANYWHERE ELSE,
LIKE THOSE GNOMES FOR TRAVELOCITY.
 

16 comments:

Angela said...

Cute.=)

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It looks to me like you found the perfect one. I guess he'd be one I'd imagine too.

jack69 said...

WOW, how fortunate to have known such a man. I have known very few story tellers, but they always inspired me.

Great read, love this entry..

Hope your weather is SPRINGY!
((HUGS))

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i love your gnome story! i think you found a good one for your garden!

Chatty Crone said...

I'm with you - I like the happy gnomes! sandie

Formerly known as Frau said...

One of my flea market treasures is a old but never used book on Gnomes.....love it! Have a great weekend!

Jon said...

You were fortunate to have such an enchanting neighbor. I have nothing against gnomes - in fact I like them - but I'm not too fond of that Travelocity gnome....

Paula said...

I sure like those chairs made from logs. Cute and interesting story.

Rose said...

Such an interesting man.

Hollie said...

Very interesting!! Love the gnome you got!!

Lucy said...

Loved that little journey down to getting your gnome. Cool entry.

Tami said...

I bought my husband a 'Dallas Cowboy' gnome. Obviously he is a Cowboys fan. ;-)

Carol Z said...

He's a cute guy. I'd want him to stay home with me, too. I didn't realize there's such a gnome world out there.

Ken Riches said...

Imagination is so much more powerful than advertising...

Lynda said...

We had a friend who was about six years older than us. She had us convinced that fairies or some kind of little people lived under tree stumps. She would have us knock on the stumps. When they wouldn't appear, she told us it was because they didn't know us well. We believed all her stories of how she conversed with them and actually went underground to visit with them!

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre,
I LOVE GNOMES!! I am chuckling at the hippy ones from the 60's. The one you took home is soooo cute. He will make you smile every time you look at him.

Thank you for your comment on my 'cousin' post today. I appreciate it so much, and am missing her dearly.

Have a good week ahead.
Love,
~Sheri