Sunday, April 28, 2013

MEMORIES ON TAPE. VHS TAPES REMEMBER THEM?

 
Remember the days before DVRs? We found an old box of VHS tapes upstairs here.  From 20 years ago. Thirty fours tapes were in it. Not one was marked. So I didn't know if they were family videos or something else. That meant I had to manually scan them, one at a time, to see if anything precious was on them. Each one was 6 hours. That meant 204 hours of viewing material. I've been spending too much time trying to go through them. So I devised a method to make it easier. I just stopped each tape I inserted in the vcr at 30 minute intervals for the length of the tape. And then, checked to see what was on them at that point.  The majority were old news programs, soap operas and TV shows. There were also some movies. I just found one family tape. It was of our oldest daughter's first apartment. If it had been lost to the trash or recycle bin, we would have been devastated. A few years ago we bought one of those DVD/VCR recorders with the intent of transferring all the VHS tapes to DVDs. It's been collecting dust. Perhaps finding these old tapes will facilitate that transfer chore. Don't want the tapes to disintegrate before we can get to it, though.
 

11 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

I know what you mean...I have three bags of vhs videos in the garage. One day, I went through them, and most of them are movies that I want to keep. I am at a standstill myself, and wondering what I'm going to do. I have a bunch of Disney ones that I just can't part with. It's too bad that none of them were labeled and you had to go through them all. That must have been tiring.

Have a good week ahead, dear.

Love,
~Sheri

Jon said...

I can fully identify with this! I have hundreds of old VHS tapes and it seems like they became completely obsolete overnight.

I bought a DVD/VCR recorder and have been planning to transfer some of my tapes, but it's a long and tedious process. I mostly want to save the old family videos of my parents, and also my piano music.
I'm sure that by the time I do this DVD's will become obsolete.....

Paula said...

You took on quite a job here. We have some of those too. I guess everyone does. Good luck!

jack69 said...

You just had to do it. Yep reminded me of the tapes in the MH basement and the NEW machine (2yrs ago) mounted in the front of the motor home that has NEVER been used to convert the VHS to DVD. Maybe, just maybe I will get to it.

((HUGS))
Good luck with yours.

Lucy said...

I have tapes that I know is family that I should transfer over. Most are of the grandkids and they are grown all but the greats.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I have a lot of these that I need to do something with. It looks like a challenging task just reviewing them to see what is on them!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have loads of vcr movies and my vcr player still works so the grandkids have been able to enjoy some of them. Hope you have fun with your memories.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i gave up and just threw all of mine away!

Chatty Crone said...

Girl you better get busy! sandie

Pam said...

You could have just tossed the whole bunch of them away, but then you would have always wondered! I bought a thing to change slides into digital photos and I have never taken it out of the box. One day!

Forty Pound Sack said...

I had to laugh when I read your title. I not only remember them, but I still use them. I am too cheap to get a DVR and my mom, who doesn't even have cable, likes to watch shows I tape for her from the cable stations. Our tapes are pretty worn out, though, and it's harder than heck to find new ones, so our tape & share days are probably numbered.