Thursday, April 11, 2013

WARNING WARNING DON'T SNOOZE

 
 
All day yesterday our weather radio kept going off blasting news about the terrible thunderstorms headed our way.  When the first one hit it was no big deal. I needed to pick up my glasses from the store because they had come in. I had to have them remade. My long term optometrist had made my left eye's  prescription too strong so it wasn't compatible and working in conjunction with my right eye. I had to go to a new doctor to get it straightened out. That guy issued a new prescription, so the store agreed to switch the lenses in my glasses free of charge because of the debacle with the doctor. ANYWAY, there was a lull between storm systems moving through so I had an hour to run and get the glasses before the next bout of severe weather rolled in. So off to the store I went. After I picked them up I decided to do a little shopping, getting something for dinner. That's when all hell broke loose. The lights started blinking, the ceiling roared with rain and hail pounding down, thunder crashed, lightening flashed, wind blew ferociously.  It was quite dramatic and a little scary. Everybody continued shopping, but it had me worried.  Probably because once upon a time I had shopped through a tornado hitting . Seriously I did about 10 years ago. Cars had been stacked in that parking lot like toothpicks. Since then I pay attention to the weather. Managed to get a call through to the husband who told me to stay put for at least another 30 minutes, no tornadoes associated with this system, so far. So I hunkered down and that's what I did. By the time all was clear enough to venture out, traffic lights were out so it made driving difficult. But I made it back in one piece, in spite of the weather with my new glasses on my face.
 
 

The only storm damage here was some really minor flooding.
More bad weather is expected here later, though. And are you sitting down?
Possible SNOW this weekend.  I kid you not.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 


 
 

 
 


13 comments:

Roses around the door... said...

love the glasses they suit you, stay safe and keep indoors. I think we may have seen the last of snow, records show we have had the coldest march in 50 years! Its now damp and grey, we had rain in the night, it looks like warmer weather for the weekend...we hope. best wishes x

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I did see that possible S word in our long range forecast but I've been trying to avoid thinking about it. We've had lots of rain here and some of it had hail in it too. Glad you were inside when that storm hit and not out on the road. Very wet here too and raining more today.

Funny in My Mind said...

ooooh! I really like the glasses!
I was grocery shopping once when a tornado took out part of one of the factories here. I came outside to this eerie calm and a green sky. Nick was a baby so I went back in and hid out in the produce room (fun times) until it ended. We had hail, wind and a crap ton of rain and then this morning, my hubby was burning leaves and said it was spitting snow. I told him that we don't talk like that in this house. In April.

Ellen in Oregon said...

Every time I see a news report about those kinds of severe storms or tornados, I am so thankful that Oregon does not have much in the way of severe weather. We have a volcano blow every decade or so from Mt. St. Helens & we have smaller earthquakes once in awhile, but nothing like people in the mid-west through to the East Coast.
I don't know how people cope with the stress if they live in areas where severe weather is common.

It must have been pretty scary for you after having been caught in a tornado before. I think I watched the Wizard of Oz too much as a kid.
It must have been frustrating to have the lens prescription messed up. At least the lens maker was willing to waive the charge for the new prescription even though it was not their fault.

Your new glasses are very flattering and suite you well. They are a nice contemporary style and now you have a "Hip" young look. Hope you enjoy having them after all the trouble you went through to get them.

Jon said...

I'm glad you made it through the storm safely. Having been raised in Southern California, I never knew what bad weather was (I was a weather virgin). Five days after I moved to the Missouri Ozarks I experienced my first tornado and I learned first-hand what severe storms are like.

Since I've been out of California, I take the weather very seriously.

Chatty Crone said...

This has been the craziest spring yet. I am glad you were safe. We are having rain now. Be careful.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

haha...crazy weather here too. we had thunder, hail and lightening last night. we are in for high winds and crazy weather tonight too. i love it...anything but hot sunny boring weather!

jack69 said...

Yes it is easy for someone who has not been 'bitten' by bad weather to take it lightly. I laughed at the tales of a hurricane coming 250 miles inland, until after it came thru. Then I started taking it seriously.
Glad you are okay and got the neat glasses, hope they work well this time.
Love from here,....

Paula said...

Glad you made it home safely and have your new glasses.

Forty Pound Sack said...

snowing here, right now. BOO!!! But, glad you made it home, and I love the new glasses, too :)

Hollie said...

So glad you are safe and sound! Storms scare me too!! We had a rough evening here also with damage. SNOW? Good grief!!
Love the glasses!!!

Angela said...

Experiencing bad weather will make you pay attention to weather, won't it? Having grown up in the Midwest, I know that all too well.

Love your new glasses!

Bobbi and Gracie said...

This weather has been crazy, right? I think if I would have been in the mall during a tornado I would have been scared to death! I'm glad all worked out well. Like the glasses!