Thursday, April 18, 2013

LAUNDRY AND TOOLS OF THE TRADE, LOADS OF FUN

 
 
 
 
Doing laundry is a mundane task. It is one of the chores I like doing the least. Folding and stacking is the part of it I've perfected. There is something comforting about it. Knowing your stuff is being handled with care. Back when I was dating my husband we went to the laundromat every weekend. His method for collecting the clothes that had been washed and dried was scrunching them in a big wad in the laundry basket and taking them back to the condo and then putting them away. It used to drive me crazy.  I pleaded with him to fold the clothes neatly to avoid wrinkles. But he thought it was a BIG waste of time. So I became the go to girl for folding.  When the children were growing up  we had loads and loads of dirty clothes to wash, so I got them into the act. My younger daughter was like me, neatly making stacks of freshly laundered items. My older daughter was like him just throwing them in the basket. Now that my girls are grown and gone I do not know what they do. But my husband is still the same story, especially when it comes to his underwear and socks. When I was growing up we had a wringer washing machine. It was quite a contraption. I used to watch my mom put the stuff in the machine and sometimes I got to help. Wringing them was the most fun for me but probably not to her. It was painstaking work to be sure.
 Check out this You Tube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BsDkGNxWOA
Nowadays things are simpler. I have entertained the notion that I should get a front loader and come into the 21st century myself, though. The reason why is because my boobs fall level with the top of the machine tub and I have to stand on my tiptoes to reach into the washer to pull any laundry out of it.  A new washing machine is out of my price range at the moment. But I can dream.  Of course then I'd need a new dryer too. Maybe I should just get a step stool. Or go thrifting for an old wringer machine.
 
 
 
 

16 comments:

RoeH said...

I LOVED washing clothes in those old wringer washers.

Paula said...

Laundry is my favorite and vacuuming is what I dislike. My first washer was a wringer type. When I got my first automatic I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Lynda said...

I got a front loader. It uses less water - - - lots less and is definitely easier to unload for my short stature, too. The only problem is is sometimes gets unbalanced - - - bad - - - don't know if it's the brand. It's not the load size cuz it will be fine until the final rinse - - - and as I said - - - it doesn't do it all the time. I do like it much, much better than my top loader!

jack69 said...

I love washing and folding clothes. While we are at home base, I use the washer and dryer outside in the storage building. On the road The washer is Sherry's domain. I do help fold.
Actually I roll my jeans, skivvies and T's, being a sailor.
I loved to watch mama, with tubs and the wringers. Lots of memories there.
I remember the bluing, don't know the actual reason but it must have been sort of a bleach.
THANKS for the read.

Jon said...

I vaguely remember my grandmother's old wringer washing machine, and hanging clothes out on a line to dry (you could never do that here in Texas - they would all blow away).

I've been doing my own laundry for so long that it's routine. In fact, I have to do some tonight.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

The last time I got a new washer and dryer the front loaders were just becoming very popular and I inquired about them but the man at the store said that for the quantity of wash done with only 1 person, I'd be wiser to get a top loader. Front loaders are meant for family loads of wash. So I did. They do look good and seem more convenient but not to be here. Saved myself some money anyway.

Chatty Crone said...

I like not love doing laundry but I don't like putting away dishes. We have Maytag's - forever!! lol sandie

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i love to do wash and fold the clothes. i love ironing too.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I don't mind doing laundry, but I hate scrubbing floors! I remember my mother doing laundry on the old wringer washing machine. My job was to help hang clothes and bring them in when dry. She always sprinkled down the clothes and spent a lot of time ironing. That was back before polyester and wrinkle free stuff. I still press some things because I don't like wrinkles.
Have a nice day and weekend!

Rose said...

I remember my mother's old ringer washing machine.........

Formerly known as Frau said...

My husband does the same thing..it's maddening! Have a great weekend!

Angela said...

My husband likes rolled socks and tri-folded underwear. Me? Toss 'em in a drawer and walk away. =)

Funny in My Mind said...

I have a top loader that works like a front loader but I have no boobs and long arms.
I love to sort, wash and dry but the hanging up and putting away annoy me.
Have a great weekend!!

Belle said...

I had an old wringer washer when I was a young wife also. We had a front loader and I liked it but it did tend to get mold in the little door. Also, our granddaughter broke it when she stuffed tons of clothes in it. If it gets off balance too much it is ruined - can't be fixed.

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre,
This story made me chuckle today. I don't like doing laundry much, but it's something we all have to do. When I was younger and married, I used to fold all my clothes and put them away, but now that I'm older, I just wash, dry, and put them in my dresser. I think that it's great that you're laundry has always been folded and organized. I hope that you get a new washer soon. That would be so nice for you.

Have a relaxing Sunday.

~Sheri

Lori said...

I like doing laundry, and I actually don't mind ironing. It's rather soothing.